Agribusiness Publishing was a media partner and exhibitor at the inaugural Global Agritech Summit 2019, better known as GATES 2019. The 2-days event, from 13-14 November 2019, was held at Bank Rakyat Convention Centre in Kuala Lumpur and was presented by Agrobank. The event brought together stakeholders in the agriculture sector including the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Primary Industries and their agencies, agriculture and technology-based associations, financial institutions, research institutions, corporate players as well as farmers. It was organised by My Events International In collaboration with Malaysian Global Innovation & Creativity Centre (MaGIC), and endorsed by both the Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Primary Industries. Malaysia UAV Developments Association (MUDA) was a Strategic Partner for the Summit.
GATES 2019 consisted of a conference, exhibition, business matching, pitching session with MaGIC, and awards presentation. Leading organisations, both global and local, met to showcase the latest technological trends and innovations in agriculture, with the aim of enabling farming to be more profitable, efficient, safe and environmentally friendly, and attracting young entrepreneurs to be involved in the agriculture industry.
A total of 200 delegates, and 23 speakers from countries such as Austria, India, Korea, Singapore, Kenya and Nigeria attended. The summit covered topics ranging from financial perspective, agriculture policies to latest technologies and trends such as robotic systems, temperature and moisture sensors, aerial images, GPS technology and many more. About 50 companies participated at the exhibition showcasing the latest technology available in the agriculture industry. The exhibitors included companies from upstream activities related to primary food and commodities-based agriculture to downstream activities such as processing and distribution of agricultural products. The event garnered more than 200 pre-matched business matching sessions between international delegates and exhibitors.
GATES 2019 was officially opened by YB Teresa Kok, Minister of Primary Industries, Malaysia, and the closing address was presented by YB Datuk Wong Hong Jun @ Junz Wong, the honourable Minister of Agriculture and Food Industry, Sabah.
YB Datuk Junz Wong stayed back to present Global Agritech Awards to the industry excellence winners:
- Mentakab Agricultural Machinery Sdn Bhd was named Best Agritech SME of the Year
- Fib-Sol Life Technologies Pvt Ltd the Best Agritech Start Up of the Year
- Multico (M) Sdn Bhd the Best Equipment Specialist of the Year
- REDtone IOT Sdn Bhd the Best Smart Farming Technology, and
- FGV Fertiliser Sdn Bhd Outstanding Company of the Year
GATES 2019 - Award Winners Presentation (Part 1)
In addition, winning companies (and their industry excellence categories) included:
- NPS Engineering Malaysia (Agricultural Engineering Machinery)
- Universiti Malaysia Pahang (Agricultural Research Technology)
- Manjung Naluri Sdn Bhd (Drone Technology)
- GV Medhini Resources (Ecological Solutions to Water Purification)
- Betsol (Entotechnology Waste Treatment)
- FGV Fertiliser Sdn Bhd (Fertiliser Technology)
- Oomiak Refrigeration (Refrigeration Systems)
- Tun Yat (Technology Development)
- Agro Malaysia Bhd (Agropreneur Development), and
- Babylon Vertical Farms (Vertical Farming)
GATES 2019 - Award Winners Presentation (Part 2)